Oh to be a wonderful hostess! It is the dream of many to throw a flawless dinner party, but the reality of few. Hosting a party can be fun and fulfilling by following some simple tips.
1. Have an accurate guest count. Knowing exactly how many guests you are having will help you immensely while planning your party. You will be more accurate with your budget and more productive with your time. Five to seven days before your event give everyone on your guest list a call and confirm their attendance. This will give you time to make necessary changes to your party if your head count is changed.
2. “The host’s mood sets the tone.” -Emily Eerdmans. If you are stressed, and frantically checking the details as the guests start to arrive, they are bound to feel uncomfortable and the need to jump in and help you. Set a relaxed fun tone for your party. Resist the urge to recount the wine glasses and relax so you too can enjoy the party with your guests.
3. Have entertainment. Whether it be games, music, or a Fromager (obviously!), have something entertaining for your guests. Choose something that will set your party apart and make it memorable.
4. Dont delay for tardy guests. We have all been fashionably late at one time or another, but it is rude to prompt guests to delay dinner, entertainment, or both for the sake of the tardy person in question. They will be able to catch up!
5. Don’t skip your introductions. “Always, always make introductions. If you’re going to make a guest feel alienated, why invite them?”—Jessica Nell Graves,thelovelist.net Enough said!
6. Have lots of cheese! (I am bias, but in my experience everyone loves it! So have Fromages s’il vous plait! at your next party.)